June 25, 2011

Chillicothe Optometrist, Dr James Schaefer

Trying to save money, I had previously gone to an eye doctor at a Chillicothe super center, but was displeased with the service I received on both occasions I stopped in.  I desperately needed new contact lenses, so I grabbed the phone book to call other local optometrists to compare prices.

One call was answered by a receptionist who had no idea what the price was for an examination and she put me on hold to check;  when she didn’t come back after 3-4 minutes, I terminated the call.  Two others quoted prices that seemed high to me, which I assumed was going to be the norm (I don’t have insurance so have to pay out of pocket).  The last call I made was to Dr Schaefer’s office, whose price was considerably less than the other two and just a few dollars higher than the optometrist’s office where I received lousy service.


My call was handled in a professional manner and we scheduled an appointment for a full examination and fitting on June 24.  I arrived just a few minutes before my scheduled appointment and was greeted immediately and whisked into the examination room within just a moment or two.    Friendly staff did a quick check of my peripheral vision, asked several questions, then turned me over to Dr Schaefer.

I found Dr Schaefer to be a very pleasant man who listened to my concerns and what I had to say after 25 year experience wearing contact lenses.  He then provided his professional recommendation, taking my needs and experience into consideration.  Other doctors have tried to sell me on products that I was unhappy with, likely because they were encouraged by manufacturers to push a particular product.  My visit with Dr Schaefer was a welcome change and I felt my eye care was more of a team approach.

The contact lenses we agreed to try weren’t in stock, but should be available in the next day or two.  I’ll go back for a fitting at that time, and I’ve no doubt that the service I receive will be the same pleasant experience I enjoyed during my initial examination.  Kudos to Dr Schaefer and his staff for providing great service at a reasonable price.



Dr James Schaefer
217 Delano Ave 
Chillicothe, OH 45601
(Off Western Ave, across from Central Center)
740.772.1105

I received no compensation for this post.  This review was not solicited in any way and all opinions are 100% my own.

1 comment:

Teresa Slack said...

You sound exactly like my situation. Have gone to a discount optometrist for my last two appts. Not satisfied with the service or my glasses after I got them. Can't see that well thru them. So here I am, due for another appt and going to Dr. Schaeffer for the first time. I'm sure I'll be satisfied.